Sunday, November 13, 2016

Running: Creating a Positive Experience



Running was never something I was ever too fond of. In fact, I dreaded it! Hearing the word “mile run” in gym class or at a sports clinic made me cringe. There was just something about it. I guess it was the way running made me feel. Every time I would run, I felt like my heart was beating out of my chest! Other times, my legs would suddenly feel limp or I would get a cramp in my belly. “How could so many people love this?” I thought.
It was only recently that my experience of running converted. I wouldn’t say that I have a reinvigorated LOVE for it, but my negative viewpoint has changed to one that is more positive. I can now say that sometimes I enjoy a nice run on a brisk day. Beginning to live a healthier lifestyle caused me to educate myself in different aspects of well-being. I figured I should start by working on my running abilities.
After doing some research, I found that runners actually have to follow a proper posture (maybe that’s why I was always achy). A runner also has to be aware of the placement of their foot when it hits the floor. If one focuses on landing on the middle part of their foot, the chances of getting injured is decreased.
Having this knowledge allowed me to improve my ability to run. In the past, I wouldn’t even make it a mile before I began gasping for air. Now, I can run three! It is crazy to see what a little hard work, perseverance, and some education can do. Next time you find yourself in a predicament, think to yourself, “how can I make this a more positive experience?”

Vocabulary
Fond (adjective) – having a liking for
Dread (verb) – to anticipate with fear
Cringe (verb) – to bend one’s body in fear
Limp (adjective) – without strength or energy
Converted (verb) – changed
Reinvigorated (adjective) – renewed  
Perseverance (noun) – determination
Predicament (noun) – conflict

Vocabulary Exercise: Unscramble the given vocabulary word.

1. I was never too ________ (ndof) of running.
2. A sense of _________ (raedd) would fill me whenever I thought of running.
3. The idea of running a mile would make me _________ (egrinc).
4. Running often made my legs feel ________ (mill).
5. My views of running __________ (nervctoed) once I started living healthier.
6. Some might say that my love for running was ______________ (igedtorreinv).
7. I order to succeed, one must have ______________ (anceseveerp). 
8. When in a ____________ (caidmentpre), try to see the positive side!

Grammar Point: The Past Tense. Verbs in the past tense describe actions that have already been completed. These verbs typically have an -ed ending. Some examples seen above are dreaded, converted, reinvigorated. Using this knowledge, please compose 3 sentences describing actions that you have completed in the past.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Ava,

    I loved your post about running. It is very engaging and relatable, and you used great vocabulary words! I also like that you added a step to your Vocabulary Exercise by not only making it fill in the blank, but scrambling the word in the word bank next to the blank space. That's a really great idea and one that I will use in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that running is an acquired taste, that I have yet to acquire. I absolutely love the rush of a good workout, but I have never been able to connect with the love of running. Your experience encourages me to persevere and give running another go. Loved the word scramble in your vocabulary exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like running or a workout, but I do like walking and cycling on a very modest scale.
    In your entry, you have a very nice choice of vocabulary words and and a nice exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice entry on the important theme of wellness! People sometimes focus on the physical, but you have brought up mental wellness. I would also add spiritual wellness as an important componenet or many of us. Good activities too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow this reply ended up on the wrong page. It should have been in response to your wellness entry. My cat came up on the table in the middle of my writing.

      Delete